Reforestum's 2021 recap
"2021 has been a year of great achievements, thanks to our team of incredible human quality, we have been able to multiply our impact by helping more and more companies and individuals to achieve their environmental goals", reflects Diego Sanz, our CEO and founder, as he looks back on what has been achieved in 2021. Now, thanks to having formed a team after the first round of funding of 750,000 euros at the end of 2020, the pace of growth is accelerating.
At Reforestum we like to share what is happening with our community, so in summary these are the most important milestones of 2021:
- The year started with 6 people in the team and ended with 12, and we hope to expand this number in the short term.
- We had our first two team gatherings: one in Frómista (Palencia, Spain) and one in Falset (Tarragona, Spain). During the first, we visited our forests and worked hard to launch our new website. In the second, we focused on defining internal dynamics to work effectively as a united team.
- We organised our first webinar on Earth Day. We called it "Reforestum begins to flourish: our story and our community's story," and we told the story of Reforestum so far.
- We are closer to our community: in November we sent out the first issue of The Roots, Reforestum's monthly newsletter. We have also increased our presence and activity on social media, and we are working on generating more and more content on our blog to keep you up to date with everything.
- We launched our new website, as well as the beta version of our Monitoring, Reporting and Verification system for the Cordillera Azul conservation and restoration project in Peru.
- We developed 3 new afforestation projects in Spain and a first project in France.These have grown into Shared Forests (Calahorra de Boedo), Corporate Forests (Kiehl's Forest and Galeries Lafayette Forest) and Community Forests (within the Calahorra de Boedo project). In addition, we have added Qianbei to the platform, which is our first forestry project located in Asia.
- This year, we also obtained the Ship2b impact seal, which accredits Reforestum as a social and environmental impact company.
- We are also proud to have expanded and consolidated our network of partnerships with Microsoft, L'Oreal, Sylvestris, Ecosphere+, Google for Startups, among others.
As Diego says, the greatest of our rewards is knowing that all these milestones have served what matters most to us: protecting and caring for our planet. "Since I started to shape the idea of Reforestum, it was clear to me that I wanted to focus my energy on contributing to improving this planet. Now, looking back at the impact we have achieved during 2021, I feel that the efforts have been worthwhile".
Specifically, this is the positive impact we have achieved throughout 2021:
- 40.89 hectares of forest planted in Spain and France with 31,159 trees guaranteeing biodiversity and long-term CO2 absorption.
- Protection of forest ecosystems through the acquisition of 8,000 Verified Carbon Units (VCUs) from the Cordillera Azul project in Peru, the Sumatra project in Indonesia, and Quianbei project in China.
All in all, in 2021 the Reforestum community has managed to offset 21,535 tonnes of CO2 through the absorption and avoidance of emissions in forestry projects.
"Reforestum is slowly becoming a reality. We have very ambitious plans for 2022, a year in which we will continue to work tirelessly to achieve our mission. For this, we hope to continue counting on all the people and organisations that have supported us unconditionally up to now, and I know that many more will join us", concludes Diego.
We hope that in this new year we can continue to multiply our impact and continue reforesting the planet.
Thank you to all of you who are making it possible!